Monday 15 July 2013

How to bill when patient comes with his own medication?

Test your coding knowledge. Determine how you would code this situation before looking at the box below for the answer.

Question: One of our patients normally injects her arm with Enbrel (arthritis medication), but because of an injury to her shoulder, she has been unable to. She brought the medication to our office and asked the doctor to inject it. Can we bill 90782?

Iowa Subscriber


Answer: Enbrel is a self-injectable drug, and because of that, you probably wont be able to request reimbursement, despite the fact that the patients shoulder injury prevents her from injecting herself. Section 2049 of the Medicare Carriers Manual states, drugs that are self-administered are not covered by Medicare Part B unless the statute provides for such coverage ... if a physician gives a patient an injection that usually is self-injected, this drug is excluded from coverage, unless administered to the patient in an emergency situation (e.g., diabetic coma).

Medicares rationale is that a primary caregiver should be available to perform the injections if the patient is unable to. If a caregiver is not available and the patient receives the injections in the physiatrists office, the patient is responsible for payment.

Many local Medicare providers allow clinicians to bill for the administration of self-injectable drugs on a one-time-only basis at the initiation of the therapy, if the drug requires dose titration to test the patients responsiveness and appropriate dosage, or if the physiatrist is demonstrating how to administer.

In some instances, a patient will bring his or her own drug to the office for injection, and the drug is not classified as self-injectable (such as epoetin). In these cases, you can bill for it. If the RN administers it, use CPT 99211 (office or other outpatient visit). If the physiatrist performs the injection, use the appropriate injection code (e.g., 90782, 90788, etc.). In addition, code the drug itself (e.g., Q0136 is for epoetin), but with a zero dollar amount in the charges column of the HCFA 1500 form with a notation that the patient provided it.

2 comments:

  1. The Le_Meridian Funding Service went above and beyond their requirements to assist me with my loan which i used expand my pharmacy business,They were friendly, professional, and absolute gems to work with.I will recommend  anyone looking for loan to contact. Email..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com  Or lfdsloans@outlook.com.WhatsApp ... + 19893943740.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 55-year-old from Korean, I was diagnosed with second-stage liver cancer following a scheduled examination to monitor liver cirrhosis. I had lost a lot of weight. A CT scan revealed three tumors; one in the center of my liver in damaged tissue and two in healthy portions of my liver. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment was prescribed due to my age, the number of liver tumors. One month following my diagnosis I began taking 12 (350 point) Salvestrol supplements per day, commensurate with my body weight. This comprised six Salvestrol Shield (350 point) capsules and six Salvestrol Gold (350 point) capsules, spread through the day by taking two of each capsule after each main meal. This level of Salvestrol supplementation (4,000 points per day) was maintained for four months. In addition, I began a program of breathing exercises, chi exercises, meditation, stretching and stress avoidance. Due to the variety of conditions that I suffered from, I received ongoing medical examinations. Eleven months after commencing Salvestrol supplementation But all invalid so I keep searching for a herbal cure online that how I came across a testimony appreciating Dr Itua on how he cured her HIV/Herpes, I contacted him through email he listed above, Dr Itua sent me his herbal medicine for cancer to drink for two weeks to cure I paid him for the delivering then I received my herbal medicine and drank it for two weeks and I was cured until now I'm all clear of cancer, I will advise you to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. WhatsApps Number...+2348149277967. If you are suffering from Diseases listed below, Cancer, HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Colon-Rectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,
    ?Esophageal cancer,?Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,?Hodgkin lymphoma
    ?Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,?Multiple myeloma,?Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,?Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,?Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,?Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Als,Vulvar cancer,Hepatitis, Chronic Illness. Lupus,Fibromyalgia.

    ReplyDelete